This course is suitable for:
Both beginners and experienced web developers will get a lot out of this course.
Suitable for people who work in the public sector or private sector, e.g Local council, voluntary sector or corporate environment. If you would like to create standards compliant accessible web pages this is a suitable course for you.
About the course
A 1 or 2 day course that delivers both the required background understanding and the practical techniques required to create an accessible website. About the course
The training is aimed at helping publishers manage their web content in a more efficient and flexible manner; accessible web design is about more than learning individual HTML techniques (although you learn the techniques as well). Accessible web design is about understanding how to manage and publish web content in the most flexible way – cutting down the work web publishers have to do to reach their widest possible audience.
The practical hands-on aspects of the course are more ‘topic’ based, for example,
- Making pages accessible for people with particular impairments.
- The legislative framework. Equality Act 2010 and website accessibility
- Introduction to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, i.e., WCAG 2.
- Accessible Web Scripting and issues with ‘Web 2’ applications.
- How to make photographs and illustrations accessible.
- How to make videos and multimedia presentations accessible
- How to make data tables accessible.
- How to make the links within your pages accessible.
- Colour and contrast issues.
- How do you make your PDFs accessible.
- How to make your forms accessible.
The topics covered will depend on your requirements and the time available on the day.
The course is taught in a very ‘interactive’ manner – questions and discussion are integrated into the course – with frequent reviews of what has been learned to facilitate understanding and recall.
Resources to take away with you
In addition to the training itself, all course participants will take away all of the course material, extensive notes and a resource list for further study. A 96-page training manual is provided which contains detailed information relating to all of the topics covered in the course and also topics that are not included due to time constraints.